The Garand Rifle was developed by John C. Garand for the U.S. military in 1929. The military officially called it Rifle, U.S., caliber .30, M1. The Garand was a gas operated semiautomatic rifle that fired aminution from an eight round clip. It was the main rifle used by the U.S. military from 1936 and 1958. This covered World War II and Korean conflict. Just as the M1 replaced the M1903, the M14 replaced the M1 Garand Rifle.